The National Center of Excellence in Women's Health has touched over 3,000 women across the State of WV and completed over 19,000 Health Screenings
What is WOW?
Women on Wellness is a community driven, health initiative using behavior change techniques for a healthier lifestyle. It was created to reach women and girls where they live, to teach life skills, and to encourage and motivate individual change. At the end of the day each participant leaves with her own healthy life style plan, local support and resources to help them achieve their goal.
Using a behavior change guidebook, supported by breakout sessions designed to help participants develop their plan and connect to local resources WOW addresses five core areas:
- Health screenings
- Nutrition and healthy diet
- Movement of body
- Motivation for learning
- Personal health plan development
WV ranks amongst the worst in overall health statistics and mortality. Our teenage girls’ continue to rank the highest in teenage pregnancies in the nation and rank in the lowest percentile for teenage mothers that complete high school. These issues feed the root problem of an unhealthy and undereducated population that leads the nation in opioid use and deaths and teenage pregnancy. We know that women are the natural leaders in their family. WOW provides women with the holistic tools to lead themselves and their families to a healthy lifestyle, body, mind and spirit.
Based on 5 Actions to Make Lifestyle changes
- Feelings- Feel good about your body
- Thoughts and Beliefs - Change how I think about my body. Focus on my positive attributes rather than being critical.
- Behaviors- Make behavioral changes that improve the way I maintain, move, and nourish my body.
- Consequences- Create a circle of positive reinforcement for my new behaviors and way of thinking.
- Impact on Others- Understand the impact my lifestyle choices have on others I care about.